Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We're back!

My mother used to tell me there is nothing good that happens after midnight.  Well, for Ashley and I it seems like nothing good happens after 6.  While we were waiting for Eve to finish her swimming lessons Evan split his frenulum.  Well it is a little unfair to say that he did it all on his own.  He had a lot of help when his brother pushed his face to the floor.  The paci pushed his lip up and ripped that darn frenulum.  We have been warned that those things bleed profusely.  René the hemo nurse said when she split her frenulum as a kid you could have followed her blood trail for two blocks.  We must have lucked out.  Not more that two drops of blood came out of that boy.  But, we knew that a split frenulum meant a visit to the ER for a dose of factor.  You see that's the great thing about hemophilia and humans being carnivores.  The weak clot that Evan makes is dissolved by the enzymes in his saliva that break down meat and other proteins.  So, the frenulum keeps bleeding.  After a quick stop to pick up uncle Andrew to watch the older two we ran home to get factor and headed back to town.  The ER was crazy.  The lack of close parking should have been a giveaway.  Every room was full with a couple requiring security to stay posted.  We got our room and started the wait.  An hour later Dr. Meloche took a quick peek and said one of the most wonderful things I have heard a doctor say.  "In my years I have learned that when a hemophiliac or parents of a hemophiliac come in they know more than I do about the disease.  I am going to let Bethany give him the medicine he needs."  Then he was gone.  Ten minutes later Bethany poked Evan and got the IV in on the first poke.  AMAZING!  That was the best ER visit we have ever had.  I never thought I would use the word wonderful to describe an ER visit but that's what it was.

1 comment:

Anica said...

I have never laughed so hard while reading a post! Even better was reading it out loud and having to say frenulum over and over. The best part, the couple ER visitors that required supervision. Oh Alaska.