Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hating the ER

Yesterday morning Evan crawled right off of the bed. He didn't have a big bump on his head but he cried for 5-10 minutes before he calmed down. So we called our trusty hemophilia nurse and after she consulted with the hematologist she recommended that we bring him into the emergency room and administer factor just to be safe. Well... easier said than done is all I can say. There was a real emergency that came in just after we arrived so we waited for a few hours... then they attempted to poke him 5 times with no luck. After that the ER doctor told me to just go on home. WHAT?? I said I would leave if the hematologist gave me the clear but big warning lights were flashing in my head because the hemophilia nurse has drilled in my head that once they start poking they can't stop until they are successful. Well Evan ended up with a CT scan. Luckily it was clear. Now we are just icing his poor little spots where they attempted to access his veins hoping that they don't swell... worrying that they might and then we might need factor again.
Sometimes it is just so discouraging. What is the point of taking him in when no one is going to help us? They did more damage than good. I hope that the continual icing works... the hemophilia nurse talked to me about compartment syndrome. Scary stuff that we just shouldn't have to deal with. I am not a medical professional. I am just a mom and I want someone to take care of my kid. I don't have a problem holding him down for... lets see Ezra was 12 attempts the worst time but I really hate this attitude that there is nothing they can do for my child. So hopefully we don't have to take him in for a long while... and if we do... well I think I would rather hop on the next plane to Seattle than go into our emergency room again.

No comments: