Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wild Ride

It is crazy how you get used to things being "normal." I mean taking Ezra in for a head bump didn't seem like a big deal. Then when I mentioned to the doctor that I was worried about his ankle she didn't seem to concerned so I thought maybe I was just crazy but I least I mentioned it. Tuesday morning that ankle problem was a serious problem. The doctor had called about setting up a trip down to Seattle for port placement... and by the way go to the ER for factor because it sounds like he had a joint bleed which is now rebleeding. AWESOME.... not. This was the worst visit of all. Not that the doctors and nurses weren't awesome, but the IV gods just really pooped on us yesterday. We were there for SEVEN, that is right SEVEN hours and had exhausted pretty much all of the staff that was willing to poke my little bleeder. So finally this awesome nurse from the ICU came in and saved the day... I guess the 12th time is the charm. After that there was a possibility that we would have treat many times to stop the joint bleed so they left the IV in.
We followed up today and they determined that we didn't have to treat again. They thought about keeping the IV in another day but Ezra was already getting at it... and it was a difficult spot to protect... the side of his foot... and he wanted to continue to walk. So they pulled it out and man he is one happy guy.
So now the idea of a port is not a long ways off, but in the very near future. Scary and exciting all at the same time. It will be great for Ezra not have to be poked 12 times again...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! 7 hours at the hospital is 6 1/2 hours too many!

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

When is he getting his port? I can honestly say a port has been a life saver for all of our bleeders. You have so much control and it makes life easier and gives you peace of mind. We will keep Ezra in our prayers. If you have any port questions shoot them our way.

Roskam Family said...

Ezra is getting his port on the 14th of this month. I am excited and scared about the port I know it will be so much better but it is still scary.

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

We will keep you and Ezra in our prayers. Is he having a PICC line placed until the port heals? Will you learn how to access the port or will you have a home health nurse come in?

e. said...

hi there-
(Nika is my sister... so that you know I'm not some random hemo stalker) - just thought I'd chime in on the port thing. Our son is almost 2 and has had his port for over a year now. I freakin' love that thing. I was nervous about the surgery and the sedation, but he healed like a champ. In fact he was up walking and climbing the same day as his procedure. For our family it was definitely the right choice. Hopefully you will feel the same.