Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My knight in shining armor.

 We got home from Seattle with colds. No surprise there, it seems to happen every time we travel. Then Sunday night/ Monday morning Evan's cold turned to yuck. At the time he was just vomiting... no fever. Then we called our hemo nurse. We didn't know if he had hit his head on the ice when he fell on our skating rink of a driveway or not so she wanted us to take him in to be evaluated for a concussion just to be safe. Ian is my hero and automatically packed Evan up to go to the emergency room for that while I stayed home with our other 2 sleeping children. Evan was fine, as we suspected, but it was good to at least have him checked out to ease everyone's minds. 
Then of course Monday he got a fever. It has totally been drilled in my head do not pass go, go directly to get blood drawn for cultures the moment his fever hits 101.5. I wish that I could just go directly to the labs. Our usual pediatrician is awesome about understanding this is just protocol... it doesn't matter if he obviously caught the flu that is going around town we just need to make sure that his port is not infected. Port infections can be super scary and you just don't mess with them. Well the pediatrician in the office yesterday is more of the mindset that cultures are totally unnecessary when he sees a reasonable cause for fever that we should just watch his fever at home. I left the pediatrician's office so confused... I don't think I normally would have left without being sent to the lab but I was so sleep deprived that I was second guessing my understanding of the fever protocol for ports. A quick email to the hemophilia nurse confirmed that my understanding of the protocol was correct and by this time it was after office hours, so hello emergency room for the second time in less than 24 hours. 
Once again Ian was my knight in shining armor. He decided that I could get the other two kids to bed at home and he would brave the emergency room again. His account of the experience did not sound fun and I am so grateful that he was willing to go because I hate it when the doctor's basically tell you that you are being a worry wart and wasting their time. The doctor told Ian as he left that the justification for blood cultures was marginal at best... grr. I would have been pissed to have the doctor tell me that. Ian said overall it went well because he was able to get them to do the cultures we were instructed to get by the hemophilia nurse. I am so glad that I married someone who can be so calm and collected... because that is totally not me. Ian totally deserves something special for the back-to-back emergency room visits. I am just hoping that Ezra doesn't get the same bug as Evan... because I know what we are supposed to do if he does and don't want to have to fight so dang hard to get it. 

1 comment:

Anica said...

Sounds like a lovely couple of nights at your house :( Too bad everyone doesn't undestand "It it protocol" and just go with it. Hope everyone in the house gets nice and healthy!