Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My confession

So I will admit it. Secretly I was hoping that Eve was right and she would get a baby sister. There are so many sweet little sets of sisters we see that it had made me feel like Eve would be missing out if she got a brother instead. Then I had to look at my reality... who was my best friend growing up?

Maybe it had something to do with being only 16 months apart but my brother was my partner in crime. Anyone want to "farm" Dad's newly planted bean patch, oh Andrew was game. I remember the hours and hours we spent playing. Sometimes I am sure he didn't like it, like the time we dressed him up as a girl... but I didn't do that alone. When it was just the two of us we always had a blast. Whether it was jumping around the living room furniture rocking out to We're Coming to America, or spending hours upon hours outside making mud pancakes.... those were the days.

I was also so protective of him. I remember when one of my friends thought she could boss him around on the playground... think again, that is my little brother. If anyone is going to boss him around that is going to be me. As I remember it there wasn't much bossing going around, but I am sure he probably would remember more bossing than me. He really was my very best friend. He is one of the most caring people I know. So after getting a little reality check I think I am okay that this baby is a boy. Eve will have fun with him I am sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might be disappointing to not have girls in matching dresses or the idea that they would be great friends. But guaranteed, she will still have a friend with a baby brother. You will really love having a boy! I promise! I feel like having both, let's them embrace the world so much more fully because of their differences. And for me, I feel like I love and appreciate the differences so much more. Alex and Abrianna are the greatest of friends. They are also the worst of enemies. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It brings a great balance to a family unit to have both genders represented. It's exciting that you'll get to have that opportunity when your little boy arrives in August. Congratulations!